Top Factors to Consider Before You Buy A Forklift
This may be the first time you buy a forklift and it can be a complex decision-making process, since you have to consider so many factors. That is why it is important to find the right supplier, correct brand, and generally best-suited truck for your needs. We want you to make an informed decision and, as such, share a few tips to help you buy a forklift that meets your requirements and provides you with an excellent return on your investment.
Before You Buy A Forklift
It is a substantial investment that can be recouped quickly if the machine is fit for the job. However, it can just as easily turn out to be an expensive mistake that becomes an unnecessary drag on your budget. To this end, first determine your specific requirements by answering these questions:
- How many hours a day must the machine operate?
- Is it for indoor or outdoor use, or for both?
- Will it operate on smooth surfaces or uneven and rough terrain?
- What is the maximum height it must be able to lift a full load?
- What is the maximum width of the load?
- What is the average load size?
- What is the average load lift height?
- Do you need solid or pneumatic tyres?
- Will you operate the machine far from electric recharging points?
- Do you need special attachments for the truck?
- What is the smallest turning space in which the machine must be able to turn around?
- Do you need it for pallet stacking or specific types of loads?
- How wide are the aisles in which it must operate?
- How wide are the various entrances?
- Are your operators trained?
- Will you need to transport the machine to different sites or will it be used at one site only?
- How often will you use the machine?
- Do you require finance to buy it?
If you want the truck for a one-off project, it is better to make use of our short-term rental options. If you need it on occasion or for a few months at a time to fill in during peak periods, you can make use of the medium- to long-term rental options. If you want a backup unit for in case you need an extra machine on site, buy a used forklift instead because our refurbished machines give you a solid return on your investment at a lower initial capital outlay. If you want a unit for maximum operating hours, it is best to buy a new forklift and op for one of our service-level agreements. You can apply for finance or lease-to-own, helping you to manage cash flow.
Maintenance costs are lower on new units and they are designed to be energy-efficient, eco-friendly, and low on maintenance, so you can expect considerable cost-to-company savings in terms of running costs when you purchase a new unit. We carry the UniCarriers brand, known for its exceptional durability, reliability, driver comfort, safety, long operating hours, and robust designs. It is also important to consider your operators when you buy a forklift. They must be trained to operate the specific unit and if any of them has health issues, like a bad back, you need a truck with features that promote driver comfort and easy access or exit from the truck.
A Few Quick Guidelines
Buy from a trusted supplier such as Bidvest Materials Handling and do not buy a forklift based only on price, as it must meet your particular operational requirements. Make sure you know how much power, manoeuvrability, and performance you need over a short and long distance. You will be glad to know that our consultants can help you select the best truck for the job based on your requirements.