Forklifts for Sale: Top Factors That Should Influence Your Decision
Running an efficient and productive warehouse or business is a challenge and in order to achieve full productivity potential, you will need to make sure that your staff members have access to the right equipment and tools. At Bidvest Forklifts, we dedicate ourselves to helping our clients create working environments that are well equipped and highly efficient.
The forklift that you choose will have more of an impact on your business than you think, affecting various aspects of your business from operating costs to employee motivation, production levels and of course, stock management. You will find that the market caters to a wide selection of forklifts for sale in Pretoria, Gauteng, with each unit having specific capacities and functions to offer. With so many an option to choose from, how will you know which unit is best suited to your business?
Shopping for a forklift is similar to shopping for a car. You need to examine the vehicle, test drive it and ensure that it is in sound mechanical condition, whether it is being sold new or second-hand. Of course, the deciding factors are varied, but here are a few of the top things that influence our customers’ forklift buying decisions:
- Budget – a new forklift is often favoured, but if you are on a tight budget, you can invest in a pre-owned unit as long as professionals had refurbished it. Take into account how many hours the forklift will work every day and ensure that any forklift that you may be considering is in a good condition. After all, it is an investment and you would like to get a good few years of service out of it.
- Work environment – this will affect the type of forklift required as well as what fuel it uses and what tyres are required, amongst other factors. The condition of the floor or ground that the forklift must navigate is an important consideration. Rough and smooth surfaces require different types of forklifts.
- Handling capacity and size of loads – a common mistake is for companies to choose a forklift that has a handling capacity that is insufficient for their load size requirements. Take into consideration the type of stock the forklift will handle, what the average load weight is, what the heaviest load weight will be and the general dimensions of the loads you will be lifting. The type of load is vital to consider, as you will find various attachments are available to make load handling simpler, depending on the stock being moved. These attachments include roll, carton, appliance and paper clamps.
- Expected reach heights – forklifts are designed to lift your loads onto high stacks or storage shelves. You need to know what your height lifting requirements are before you choose a forklift. When selecting a forklift’s height capacity, keep in mind any height restrictions in your environment such as ceiling height, lights, beams, overhead electricity cables and similar obstructions. The last thing you want is to damage something while operating your forklift – and jeopardise the driver’s safety.
- Ergonomics – before you can even start to look at fuel economy and overall functionality of the forklift, the ergonomics should come into play. Uncomfortable seating for operators can lead to back pain, injuries and general discomfort. The fact is that this will negatively affect your team’s productivity and in turn, your profits too, in addition to liability concerns. Make sure that you choose a forklift with comfortable seating.
- Fuel type – there are three main propulsion options on the market and these are electric, petrol and diesel. Carefully consider the running cost implications of each forklift type and ensure that you can afford the unit, its general upkeep and the required fuel too.
- Tyre choices – once again, the working environment will determine what tyres are required and as a result, you will have to shop accordingly. Pneumatic tyres are the most common forklift tyre types with cushioned tyres and non-marking tyres being popular options too, depending on the surface.
If you require further guidance when shopping for forklifts for sale in Pretoria, Gauteng, don’t hesitate to get in touch with us at Bidvest Forklifts. We are available via email and telephone and look forward to presenting you with a fine range of forklifts that will prove to be worthy investments.