How to Choose the Right Electrically Driven Forklifts and Reach Trucks
Choosing the right electrically driven forklifts and reach trucks is essential for optimal productivity and safety in your warehouse operations. Follow the tips below in selecting equipment that meets your particular requirements.
The most important factor to consider when choosing electrically driven forklifts and reach trucks is their application. What do you want to do with the trucks? You need to consider floor surfaces, lifting heights required, types of materials to be loaded, distances to travel, travel speeds needed, safety requirements, and more.
Once you have determined the application requirements, you are ready to shop for electrically driven forklifts and reach trucks. Consider the following:
- The type of stock that must be handled, and whether the truck can handle it.
- Average load weight required, and the capacity of the truck.
- Heaviest load to be handled compared to the truck’s maximum load capacity.
- Load widths compared to the maximum load width of the forklift or truck.
- Type of loads and attachments that can be added to the forklift or truck to cater for these.
The lift height required is essential, since it will influence the truck or forklift’s load-carrying ability. The average unit for normal warehouse use has a lifting height of 2,4 m up to 6 m, but you can get units that can lift higher. The lifting height is closely related to the warehouse size and layout. Consider the following when looking at lift height:
- Typical height that the truck must reach.
- Highest point to be reached.
- Restrictions in the warehouse, such as lights or beams.
If there are restrictions, you need to consider what the collapse height of the forklift mast must be to move underneath restrictions, such as warehouse roller doors. Here, consider the floor-to-eaves height restrictions of the warehouse as well. Other factors to consider include:
- Energy use.
- Maintenance requirements.
View our range of electrically driven forklifts and reach trucks for sale or to rent and let our consultants help you select the best equipment to meet your particular requirements.